19 January 1850     page 10, col. 2      Highway Robbery and Attempted Murder


    For some time back the neighbourhood of Kirkheaton has been infested with a gang of desperadoes, whose practice has been to way-lay travellers crossing the country by the different highways and footpaths, and after maltreating them, make off with what valuables they could find in the possession of the party attacked.  Not many weeks ago, we had to insert an account of the manner in which Mr. David Stafford had been thus waylaid, attacked, and robbed, on one of the footways leading towards Kirkheaton; and at the same time it was also stated that Mr. Joseph Wild, manufacturer, of Whitley, had been similarly treated within a hundred yards of his own house.  Another party, of the name of John Sykes, has also been thus attacked; and on Saturday night last a woman crossing in the neighbourhood was stopped and robbed.

On Tuesday night last, Mr. Abraham Mallinson and Mr. Joseph Wilby, manufacturers in the neighbourhood of Kirkheaton, were set upon and most brutally maltreated.  The gentlemen had left Huddersfield in company about ten o’clock, and had called at the Tandem Inn, on the Wakefield Road.  They left that house between eleven and twelve o’clock; and after passing through a portion of Kirkheaton, took the footpath leading from the Kirkstyle to Gawthorpe Green.  When proceeding on their way they were attacked by a number of men who were armed with a pair of stilts which had been stolen from the parsonage, at Kirkheaton.  The attack must have been a most ferocious one, for the quantities of blood left on the ground seemed almost as if a pig slaughter had been going on.  Both of the gentlemen were left on the ground insensible, and it was three o’clock in the morning before they so far recovered as to be able to crawl homeward.  They are both laying at their respective homes in a dangerous state.  The money and valuables that each had upon his person were taken away, and the next morning, when the police were called on to the ground, footmarks were traced in the snow from the place of attack, first to a small planting on the grounds of Mr. John Labrey, and in the planting itself a number of papers were found which belonged to the parties attacked.  The footsteps were then traced across Mr. Labrey’s park.  On the spot where the attack had been made, were found portions of the stilts which had been broken from the violence used, and in a hedge at some distance from the place, but in the direction of the footprints, was found another portion.  From the inquiries made, and from other circumstances, Mr. Superintendent Heaton deemed it his duty to apprehend John Wood, John Swift, and James Castle, all of them weavers, residing at Lascelles Hall, on the charge of being concerned in this murderous attack and robbery.  On Thursday they were placed before George Armitage, Esq., and remanded until Thursday next, to see what may be the fate of the parties now laying dangerously ill.  At this stage of the proceedings it would not be prudent for the ends of justice to state the facts that are in the possession of the police.  Little doubt, however, is entertained of their being enabled to bring the charge home to the prisoners.  There is also reason to believe that those parties have been engaged in some of the other robberies.


    Abraham Mallinson, Tree 9, Manufacturing Chemist of Gawthorp Green, was born 23 July 1789.  He would have been 60 at the time of the attack.  He died not long after, 18 April 1852, aged 62, and was buried four days later at St. John’s, Kirkheaton.  Confusion over the declension of ‘lie’ and ‘lay’ was obviously just as rampant in 1850 as it is today.


    Feb 1850     page 10, col. 2    The Kirkheaton Highway Robberies and Murderous Assaults


    Pursuant to a remand, the three prisoners, John Wood, John Swift, and James Castle, weavers, of Lascelles Hall, were brought up before the Huddersfield Justices, in the Guildhall, to answer the charge of having feloniously assaulted Messrs. Abraham Mallinson and Joseph Wilby, both of Gawthorpe Green, Lepton, the first a manufacturing chemist, and the second a fancy cloth manufacturer, on the night of the 15th January, with intent to do them grievous bodily harm, and with stealing from their persons certain sums of money and other articles.

    Mr. Wm. Barker appeared for the prosecution; Mr. J.I. Freeman for the defence of Castle.  The court was thronged during the whole of the proceedings, a great number of the attenders being from the immediate neighbourhood of Lascelles Hall and Kirkheaton.  The appearance of Mr. Mallinson, the prosecutor, and Mr, Joseph Wilby, excited deep commiseration - their heads being still bandaged up, and Mr. Wilby wearing a large shade over the right eye, and both still evidently suffering from the effects of the murderous assault upon them.  The three prisoners, on being placed in the dock, evinced anything but a due regard for their serious situation.  Their conduct manifested not only indifference but a degree of recklessness and hardihood, particularly Wood, seldom witnessed; and their flippant behaviour - their recognition of their comrades in the Court by winks, nods, and laughs, and their bearing in the dock during the examination of the several witnesses, called forth repeatedly the reproof of the Bench.

    The deposition of Mr. Abraham Mallinson was first taken, which carried the charge up to the time that he was knocked down senseless to the ground; but as a more complete history of the case will be found in the deposition of Mr. Wilby, we pass on to his statement:

     Mr. Joseph Wilby, fancy cloth manufacturer, of Gawthorpe Green, was sworn, and said - I accompanied Abraham Mallinson, George Brier, James Brier, and Wm. Brook, the organist at Kirkheaton church, on Tuesday night, the 15th January, from the Tandem Inn, on the Wakefield Road, a little before twelve o’clock.  Mallinson and I parted with the Briers at the corner of the Kirk-Style.  They went up Church Lane, and we went on the footpath leading to Lane-Side and Gawthorpe Green.  When we got into the second Ox Close, I was a few yards before Mallinson, and I heard a noise behind me.  There was snow on the ground.  I turned round, and saw several men.  I said, “What’s to do?”  I saw sticks above the men’s heads.  Two of the men came towards me, and I saw Abraham Mallinson fall.  I was immediately felled by a blow on the head  - one of the men punched me in the side under the short ribs, and another threw himself on the top of me.  I then lay pretty still, to avoid further blows.  I avoided calling out for self-preservation.  One of the men put his hand into my right trousers pocket, and took away 22s. 6d. in silver.  My right eye was cut to the bone, my right ear cut through, my skull, at the right side towards the back, was cut to the bone.  The men then went away.  The two men who attacked me were tallish men, and their clothes appeared dark, and one of them had a dark coat with laps to.  The two prisoners, John Wood and James Castle, correspond in size and general appearance to the two men who attacked me.  When I found the men had gone, I got up and took my hat, which had been knocked off, my stick, umbrella, and two bludgeons which the men had left.  There was a good deal of blood on the ground three or four yards behind; I took hold of him, and he seemed unconscious - he did not know me.  We then went together as far as widow Ramsden’s, and he said he would call there.  He had scarcely come round at that time.  I went home and had my wounds dressed.  I went to bed.  Mr. Beaumont came to dress my wounds, and Mr. Tatterson, the surgeon, came the following morning.  I lay in bed a week, and was very ill; and since that time I have been confined to bed more or less.

     Mr. John Smith, stone mason, of Lepton, and Mr. Thomas Heaton, superintendent constable, gave a minute description of foot marks in the snow at the place of the attack, the tracing of the prisoners by them to the vicinity of where Swift slept, near Lascelles Hall, and the apprehension of the prisoners there.  William Pexton, a blacksmith, of Waterloo Bridge, and Joseph Ramsden, of Race Hall, were also examined, and deposed to having seen the prisoners, Wood and Swift, sauntering about the Tandem Inn, about half-past eleven o’clock on the night of the attack; and Mr. Alderson’s farmer man also spoke to the stilts used as bludgeons being taken from his master’s premises, on the Tuesday night, and with his evidence closed the case for the prosecution.

     At the conclusion of the case, Mr. Freeman addressed the Bench, contending that there was no evidence to implicate his client, Castle.  The Bench being also of the same opinion, he was ordered to stand down, and ultimately discharged, with an intimation that should further evidence turn up at all implicating him, he would be again apprehended.

     On the usual caution being given to Wood and Swift, previous to their being asked if they had anything to say in answer to the charge, Wood fiercely exclaimed, “I’ve got nothing to say - only I should like to drive that fellow’s head off - (alluding to Superintendent Heaton) - it’s nought but spite - he’d a ‘sammed’ me up long sin’ if he could a gotten a bit on a hold.”  He afterwards stated that he had been weaving until after ten o’clock, and he could bring a man forward (if he would come) that saw him strip his coat to go to bed before eleven o’clock.  Swift also stated that he had been weaving till after ten o’clock, and that a young man with whom he slept knew that he went to bed soon after ten o’clock.

     B.N.R. Battye Esq., addressing the prisoners, said - John Wood and John Swift, you each of you stand committed to York Castle to take your trial at the next assizes.

     Wood, in an impatient and loud voice exclaimed - “Thank you,” at the same time turning to leave the dock, and throwing his cap on his head.

     The Magistrate, addressing Wood, said, “Stop, my man.  I once saw sixteen men that were like you committed to York Castle, ride out of this town laughing and whistling, and singing, and shouting and apparently as much unconcerned as you are now pretending to be, - in a few weeks the whole of those sixteen men were brought back again to this town dead corpses.  I would, therefore, advise you not to treat the matter with so much levity.”


     24 August 1850    page 10, col. 4    The Kirkheaton Robberies


On Saturday last, the three prisoners named George Smith, Henry Wood, and Benjamin Smith (not Wood, as was printed by mistake in our last), were placed before the Magistrates, pursuant to adjournment from Tuesday, on the charge of being concerned in the robberies which took place at Kirkheaton, in December and January last.  As the material evidence given by the witnesses in this case against the prisoners was similar to that given at the examination of John Wood and John Swift, in January last, who were sentenced to be transported for life at the last March assizes, for the assault on and robbery from the persons of Mr. Joseph Wilby and Mr. Abraham Mallinson, it will be unnecessary to again give their evidence.  The statement of the convict Swift will be sufficient to show that the sentence past upon himself and John Smith was not passed upon innocent men:

                                                                                                                        York Castle, August 2nd. 1850

The Voluntary Statement of John Swift, A Convict In York Castle.

     The said John Swift saith, on the Saturday night that David Stafford was robbed, which was a short time before Christmas, John Wood and Benjamin Smith came to the house of Thomas Sandland, where I worked.  They came up into the chamber where I was working.  (Thomas Sandland was at work in the same chamber at the time).  Wood asked me if I had done my work?  I said, “no, not quite.”  Wood said, “Leave thy work, and go downstairs with us.”  I said, “What for?”  Wood said, “To go up into Cockhill’s fields with us, to see who we can catch with some money.”  After a good deal of persuasion, I went with them.  We left Lascelles Hall about half past six in the evening.  We went by the Bottoms, near Kirkheaton church, and up the footpath into Cockhill’s fields.  We went up to the turnpike, and then turned back and went down the footpath, towards Kirkheaton, and when we got a little past Mr. Cockhill’s house, we met George Lee and William Hardy.  John Wood was walking first.  I was second,and Benjamin Smith last.  George Lee said, “Ho! what is you chaps for? - You are after something that’s nought.”  When he had just passed them, George Lee said to William Hardy, there is Wood and Swift for two.  We went a little further down the footpath, and said one to another we thought they knew us, and that we had better turn back and go into Huddersfield.  We all three - John Wood, myself, and Benjamin Smith, went to Huddersfield.  We went up King Street, and through the Market Place and then down to the Unicorn Inn, in Castlegate, kept by Jacob Senior.  We there met with Henry Wood, James Haigh, James Castle, Charles Kilner, and several other young men whom we knew.  We remained there about two hours.  Henry Wood was sat on the opposite side of the dram-shop to us, and John Wood and Benjamin Smith went across the room to him, and said something to him which I did not hear, and then we all four - John Wood, Henry Wood, Benjamin Smith, and myself, came out together, and went together as far as the Green Cross public house.  It was then agreed that I should go into the public house to see if there was any one in likely to have anything upon them.  I saw George Lee in th ehouse.  I did not sit down, and when I came out the two Woods and Smith had gone a few yards up the turnpike.  I joined them, and we all went together to Cockhill’s fields.  When we got down the first field, where a footpath crosses leading to the top of Dalton, we stayed under the hedge, and whilst we were there Aaron Sykes passed us and bade good night.  We none of us answered; and when he had got a few yards past us he set off running.  We then went lower down the footpath, across two fields, and in a few minutes David Stafford came down, and as soon as he had passed us John Wood struck him on the head with a hedge stake, and we all seized him, and pulled him under the hedge; Benjamin Smith held his head, I loosed his clothes, John Wood took his watch, and Henry Wood took his comb, a penknife, and a quarter of a pound of tea, and two half crowns, a large key, and a bunch of small keys (the keys were thrown away into the field); we then went into a shed near the Tandem Inn, and divided the property.  I got 1s. 3d. and a comb, and the other three 1s. 3d. each.  Benjamin Smith had the knife and tea, and John Wood took the watch and guard.  The following day (Sunday), I went to Wm. Wood’s house (father of John and Henry Wood); the two Woods and I went to the back door, and Benj. Smith came to us, and John Wood gave Smith the watch and guard to take to his father’s house till John Wood went to Halifax to sell it.  Wood sold the watch at Halifax on the 11th December, and pledged another watch at Hirst’s, in Huddersfield.  On the same day after Stafford was robbed, John Wood came down the road with John Ambler and his wife as far as the Tandem shed, when John Wood turned into the shed and left them.

                                                                                                                        John Swift

Sworn before me,

Barnard Hague, West Riding of Yorkshire


     The said John Swift further saith that one Tuesday evening, about the middle of January last, John Wood came to Thomas Sandland’s, where I was working at Lascelles Hall, and asked me to go with him down to the Tandem Inn, where he said hs brother Henry and George Smith were on the lookout for some one likely to have money upon them.  I went along with him to the shed at the Tandem Inn, and we there met with Henry Wood, who told us George Smith was inside the Tandem Inn, getting a pint of ale, and looking out to see who were there likely to have money upon them.  When we three had remained a short time in the shed, George Smith came out of the inn into the shed, and said there was Joseph Wilby and Abraham Mallinson in the Tandem Inn, drinking, and he thought they had some money on them; he said they were two as likely persons as there was in to have money upon them, and Smith said we must wait in the shed until Wilby and Mallinson went, and he would come and tell us when they left.  Smith said the road they would have to go would be as likely a road as he knew to rob any body, as it was a quiet lonely road.  As Smith came out of the inn to the shed he met Joseph Ramsden, and they quarrelled about some sacks, but Ramsden left Smith, and would not say much to him.  Smith then returned into the inn; we waited till about twelve o’clock, when Wilby and Mallinson came out to go home.  George Smith then came into the shed to us, and said Wilby and Mallinson were going, and that John Wood, Henry Wood, and myself must follow them, and that the best place to rob them would be in the fields, past Kirk-Style; and after we had robbed them we must cross up to Lascelles Hall, and he would meet us there.  We followed them, and when we got near the farm buildings belonging Kirkheaton Rectory, the two Woods sent me to fetch some large sticks to knock them down with.  I went and found a pair of stilts, and gave one to each of the Woods; we then came up with Mallinson and Wilby.  John Wood felled Mallinson with the stilt, and Henry Wood felled Wilby, and kicked him several times after he was down.  We then took from Mallinson about 10s. and a knife, and from Wilby 22s. 6d. We then went into a plantation leading towards Lascelles Hall, and after waiting there a short time, we went across the park towards Lascelles Hall, where we found George Smith waiting for us.  Smith asked us what we had got from them.  I said I had got 22s. 6d. from Wilby, and gave it to Smith into his hand.  John Wood said he had got 10s. 1d. from Mallinson, and gave it Smith into his hand.  Smith then said to the two Woods he would give me 7s. 6d., and he and the two Woods would divide the remainder equally amongst them, Smith gave me three half-crowns, and he and the two Woods took the remainder with them and went away.  I went to bed.  James Hanson, the oastler at Tandem, saw John and Henry  Wood near the door of the inn.  Henry Wood had a piece of a gate in the shed to knock them down with, but he forgot it, and left it in the shed, which was the reason I had to go to the rectory farm buildings for the two stilts.

                                                                                                                        John Swift

Sworn before me,

Barnard Hague, West Riding of Yorkshire


     On Saturday Swift appeared at the Guildhall, and gave evidence with the above statement against George Smith, Henry Wood, and Benjamin Smith, which was corroborated in its material particulars by other witnesses.  Swift was in the custody of one the turnkeys of York Castle.  He gave his evidence with great clearness, and from his manner there could be no doubt of the truthfulness of his statement.  The examination terminated in the committal to York Castle, for trial, of Henry Wood and George Smith, for the robbery from the person of David Stafford; and of Henry Wood and George Smith, for the attack on and robbery of Messrs Wilby and Mallinson.  The court was crowded during the examination.




    [The Huddersfield Chronicle was founded in 1850 and ran until 1916.  Its daily edition began in 1871.

    It was owned by the Crosland family and supported the Conservative tendency, in direct opposition to Joseph Woodhead’s ‘Examiner’ which was the mouthpiece of local Liberalism.]


     24 August 1850    page 10, col. 4    The Lascelles Hall Robbery (First Case)


     Our readers will be familiar with the leading circumstances of a daring highway robbery with violence which was committed in December of last year, in the fields leading from Moldgreen to Kirkheaton.  At the time of its occurrence two men named John Wood and John Swift, were examined before the Huddersfield magistrates on the charge of committing a highway robbery on Mr. Abraham Mallinson and Mr. Wilby, and committed to York.  They were tried at the last assizes and sentenced to transportation for life.  Since their conviction Swift has turned approver, and implicated three others as connected with the night’s depredations.  In consequence of this information Mr. Superintendent Heaton apprehended on Sunday the 11th inst., Henry Wood and Benjamin Smith, on a charge of robbing David Stafford; and George Smith for robbing Joseph Wilby.  They were brought up on Tuesday se’nnight and remanded to Saturday last, on which day they were examined before J. Brook and G. Armitage, Esqrs.

     The case was conducted by Mr. Barker, solicitor for the Kirkheaton association for the prosecution of felons.  Mr. J.I. Freeman appeared on behalf of Benjamin Smith; and Mr. Watts, of Dewsbury, for Henry Wood and George Smith.

    The prosecutor in this case was Mr. David Stafford, who deposed that he was a clerk in the office of William Jacomb Esq., solicitor, Huddersfield.  On Saturday night the 8th December, 1849, he left Huddersfield about a quarter past 10 o’clock in order to proceed home to Kirkheaton.  He had on him at the time a silver watch and a gold guard, a pocket comb, a penknife with four blades, a bunch of small keys, and a large key, a quarter pound of tea, two half-crowns and a sixpence in money.  He proceeded along the road, and at the Brick Kilns, about half a quarter of a mile from the Green Cross Inn, Moldgreen, he turned into the foot path leading into Kirkheaton.  Whilst going through the gateway between the fourth and fifth fields he was struck with a hedge stake on the back of the neck, knocking off his hat, and afterwards seized by three persons who threw him down into the grass.  One of the assailants put his hand over prosecutor’s mouth and the other hand over his head, thus holding him down whilst the two others searched his pockets, after which they all ran away.  On getting up prosecutor found that his watch and guard, the bunch of small keys, the large key, the pocket comb, the knife, the tea and half-crowns had been taken from him.  The watch, gold chain and comb produced, were those taken from him.

    The next witness examined was the approver, John Swift, who appeared in the custody of one of the officers from York Castle.  On being sworn, he said, on a Saturday night, a few weeks before Christmas last, the prisoner, Benjamin Smith, along with the convict John Wood, called at Thomas Sandilands, Lepton, and induced him (the witness) to accompany them to Cockhill Fields.  In the second field below Cockhill’s they met George Lee and William Hardy; they were passing along the footpath towards Huddersfield.  The witness and companions were going the contrary way.  George Lee then said, “Ho, what are you chaps doing here?”  Witness and companions made no answer.  Lee and Hardy then said to each other, “There is Swift, and Wood, and Benjamin Smith.”  Finding that they were known, Swift and the others decided not to attack any one in the fields they were then in that night, after which they came down to Huddersfield and went to the Union, Castlegate, there meeting with the prisoner, Henry Wood.  They all, including Henry Wood, left the Unicorn about ten o’clock, and proceeded together as far as the Green Cross, at the top of Moldgreen, where they stopped.  The two Woods and Benjamin Smith left before witness, who overtook them about one hundred yards before they came to the footpath.  They stayed in the field where another road crosses leading to Dalton.  Whilst there a young man came along the cross footpath.  He was a little man, and bade them goodnight.  They did not answer.  Benjamin Smith said, “Seize him.”  Witness replied, “Seize him you.”  Whilst they were saying so the man passed them and set off a running.  They then went a few fields lower down the footpath, and had only been standing a few minutes when the prosecutor (David Stafford) passed them.  They followed him down the field, and John Wood struck him with a stick which had been taken out of the hedge.  Stafford staggered about.  He was not right knocked down.  Witness, Benjamin Smith, and Henry Wood followed, and pulled him down under the hedge.  Benjamin Smith held his head and witness was at his feet.  The two Woods searched him, and convict John Wood got a silver watch and a gold guard.  The prisoner, Henry Wood, got two half-crowns, a pocket-comb, a small pen-knife, a quarter of a pound of tea, a few small keys, anda big key.  The keys were thrown away into the turnpike road.  They then separated, and went down the road to the Tandem Inn, at Lepton, where they had agreed to meet.  Witness lived with his father, near the Tandem Inn, and as he had to pass, he called and got a bit of supper.  It would be about a quarter-past eleven o’clock.  He then left his father’s house, and went to the shed of the Tandem Inn, meeting with convict John Wood and the prisoners Ben. Smith and Henry Wood.  He enquired what they had got.  Henry Wood replied he had got a pocket-comb, a pen-knife, a few small keys, and a door key.  He said he had thrown the keys away.  Convict John Wood said he had got a watch and guard.  Prisoner Henry Wood gave witness fifteen pence for his share of the money, and the pocket-comb.  Prisoners Ben. Smith and Henry Wood then went away.  Witness went home to his lodgings.  On the next day (Sunday) they met in a garden belonging to William Wood, at the back of Haigh’s Buildings, Lepton, when they decided that prisoner Ben. Smith should keep the watch until convict John Wood could take it to Halifax and dispose of it.  They then separated.

     George Lee and William Hardy, both of Lepton, deposed to meeting the prisoners as stated above; and Charles Kilner, weaver, Lepton, and Thomas Wood, waiter at the Unicorn, Castlegate, Huddersfield, spoke to their being at the Unicorn, as stated.

    Aaron Sykes, cloth-dresser, Folly Hall, gave evidence as to going on the cross-road towards Dalton, and meeting with four men, as stated by Swift, whom after passing he ran away.  He had since been called upon to examine the prisoners, and he recognised them from amongst four other prisoners in the lock-up - but he would not positively swear to them.

     Paul Greenwood, broker, Halifax, said that on the 11th December, 1849, he purchased the watch now produced of the convict John Wood.

     Thomas Heaton, superintendent of the county police, said that he apprehended the two convicts, John Wood and John Wood, on the 16th of January last, and shortly afterwards he received a watch, which was traced to the last witness.  In consequence of information received from John Swift, he apprehended the prisoners on Sunday, the 11th instant.  On the following Thursday, Aaron Sykes was taken to the lock-up, and after looking at six prisoners in custody, he picked out Ben. Smith and Henry Wood, as two of the four he had met with as already described.

     No cross-examinations were made, or defence offered; and the magistrates, after a short consultation, committed the prisoners to York to take their trial.  The prisoners, during the proceedings, conducted themselves with great levity and impudence.


                                                                               The Lascelles Hall Robbery  (Second Case)


     After the previous case had been disposed of, a fresh charge was entered against George Smith, and the other prisoner Henry Wood, for having on the 15th of January last, committed a robbery on the person of Mr. Joseph Wilby, accompanied with violence.  Mr. Barker prosecuted as before, and Mr. Watts defended.

      Joseph Wilby, on being sworn, said that he was at the Huddersfield market on Tuesday the 15th January, 1850, and left about twenty minutes after nine o’clock at night, in company with Abraham Mallinson and another young man.  They called at the Tandem Inn, at Lepton, where they remained until between eleven and twelve o’clock.  He left the Tandem in company with Abraham Mallinson, George Brier, and his son. He had in his pocket 22s. 6d.  They went along Riding’s Wood, towards Kirkstyle, when Brier and his son left them. Mallinson and witness proceeded on the footpath leading towards Gawthorpe Green, in front of Kirkheaton Rectory.  When they got into the second field they met some men with sticks, who knocked Mallinson down, and whilst witness was turning round they knocked him down also, and he fell on his left side.  He put up one of his knees and arms to save himself from the blow.  He asked them what they wanted, and they punched him in the side, so he lay still.  He felt them taking money out of his pocket.  After they left him he felt blood coming from his temples, and his right eye lid dropped down.  When he came to himself he picked up his hat and a stick.  He also picked up a bludgeon. It had been part of a boy’s stilt.  There was snow on the ground.  He then went to Abraham Mallinson, who was laid on the ground.  Mallinson refused to get up until he knew who witness was.  They then went away, and witness left Mallinson at Widow Ramsden’s.  Witness found himself very ill for a week or two after.  He could not positively swear to any of the men.

        John Swift, on being again examined, said his father lived at Fleming House, near Huddersfield; and he (witness) formerly worked at Standilands.  On Tuesday, the 13th January last, John Wood came for him, and they went to the Tandem, where they met the prisoner Wood, who said George Smith was outside.

George Smith joined them shortly.  Wilby and Mallinson were there.  They (with the exception of Smith, who was in the Tandem) waited in the shed till about a quarter to twelve, when Mallinson and Wilby came out.  Smith followed them out of the house.  He said, “We must follow and meet them at Lascelles Hall, the likeliest spot to take them will be the close after we get to Kirkstyle.”  Smith then returned into the house, and witness and the two Woods followed Mallinson and Wilby to Kirkstyle, and on the footpath to Gawthorpe Green.  When they got to the foot bridge in front of the Kirkheaton Rectory, the two Woods told witness to go to the Rector’s farm, and see if he could find two sticks.  He then crossed over and looking over the wall into the Rector’s yard, he found  two stilts such as boys walked with.  They then saw Wilby and Mallinson coming on the road before them.  The Woods got the sticks.  Convict John Wood went first, Henry Wood second, and witness next.  On coming up to Mallinson he was knocked down by convict John Wood.  Wilby was a few yards before, but turned round and said, “What is there to do?”  Prisoner Hanry Wood followed up to him and struck him at the side of the head, knocking him down.  Witness followed and searched Wilby.  They punched Wilby on the side whilst searching him.  Witness found 22s. 6d. in crowns and half-crowns and sixpences.  John Wood said he had got half a sovereign from Mallinson with a knife and a few notes.  They then left, going back to the stone bridge, and up a footpath towards Lascelles Hall.  They crossed over into the plantation, and stayed a few minutes, examining the notes by means of a dark-lantern.  Convict John Wood read them, and said they were only chemists’ notes, and were worth nothing.  They then crossed the park going to an old cottage near the Hall, where they met George Smith.  They said, “We have let on,” and George Smith replied, “How much have you got?”  They told him and commenced to divide the money.  Convict John Wood said he would give witness three half-crowns for his share.  Witness replied, “That will not be quite my share,” but Convict Wood said he ought to have the surplus, for what he had spent at the Tandem.  They then separated.  He was taken into custody the next day.

     Joseph Ramsden on being sworn, said he remembered being at the Tandem on a Tuesday about the middle of last January, and remembered what took place as named by the previous witness.

     William Brown swore positively to the fact that George Smith returned after Mallinson and Wilby had gone, and remained about twenty minutes.  The other portions of his evidence as well as that of Mr. William Peckston, blacksmith, and Mr. Abraham North, of the Rectory Farm, was merely of a corroborative character.

     Superintendent Heaton was examined, and detailed the manner in which he had traced the footsteps of the prisoners in the snow, and afterwards taken them into custody.

     As in the previous case no evidence was offered, and their worships after a short conference, committed the prisoners to take their trial at the next York assizes.


     19 October 1850     page 5, col. 3.     Kirkburton: Singular Death of a Female


      On Monday last an inquest was held at the Grapes Inn, Kirkburton, before Thomas Taylor, Esq., deputy-coroner, on the body of Ann, the wife of Charles Mallinson, farm-labourer and dealer in groceries.  It appears that the deceased was thirty-four years of age, and, being unwell during the early part of last week, sent for her sister to attend to the shop for herp; but on Friday evening she was well enough to serve customers herself, and was very cheerful and much better.  She went to bed about ten o’clock, and her husband followed her in about an hour.  He awoke a little before six o’clock on Saturday morning and discovered that the deceased was absent.  The front door was properly fastened, and the inner-door, leading to the kitchen, was snecked, but the back door was partially open, and could not be latched from the outside. Diligent search was at once made, and at seven o’clock in the morning, the body of the deceased was found by John Wilson and William Spivey, with the aid of a pole, at the bottom of a small dam, about nine and a half yards long, and about five and a half yards broad, in a field belonging to Mr. Tedbar Tinker, about seventy yards from the house.  There are two walls between the house and the dam, and the dam is not more than four feet ten inches deep in any part.  The deceased, who was dressed in a cap, night-gown, two petticoats, and boots, was quite dead, but was not in any manner bruised or marked.  The morning was very frosty, and no traces of footsteps on the walls, or near the dam, could be seen.  On laying out the deceased a razor, in a case, was found lying under her bed.  The wife’s sister, at the request of the husband, had, on the Thursday previous, placed the razor on the bedhead in another room, and it is not known who removed it.  Verdict - “Found drowned.”


    [Ann Mallinson, née Swift, wife of Charles Mallinson, Tree 16c.  She was buried at All Saints, Kirkburton, 15 October 1850, aged 34.]


     1 February 1851     page 5, col. 2      The Queen v. John Mallinson of Huddersfield


     It will be in the recollection of our readers that on the 2nd of November last, Mr. John Mallinson, merchant, of this town, was summoned before the Huddersfield Bench of Magistrates, at the instance of Mr. Thomas Gray, who in his information then stated, that on the 14th of October, John Mallinson, merchant, did threaten to kick and beat the said complainant, and to do him some grievous bodily harm; and the complainant was therefore afraid that the said John Mallinson would do him some grievous bodily injury, and prayed that the said John Mallinson might, therefore, be required to find sufficient sureties to keep the peace, and be of good behaviour towards the said complainant.  The magistrates, after hearing all the evidence offered by Mr. Gray on that occasion, decided that the matter was not within their jurisdiction; and as they did not consider that there was sufficient proof of Mr. Gray’s life being in danger the case was discharged.  The case was then removed into the Bail Court, where Mr. Gray exhibited articles, setting forth that he was a partner with the defendant, that he been violently turned out the premises, and that he could not return for the performance of his necessary business as such partner without fear of great violence and injury to his person.  On the faith of these articles Justice Patterson, who presided on the occasion, decided on this ex parte statement that Mr. Mallinson must put in bail himself in £400 and two sureties in £200 each, as a guarantee that he would not molest Mr. Gray.  According to previous notice, Mr. Pashley moved, in the Court of Queen’s Bench, on Tuesday last, that the bail of the defendant (Mr. Mallinson) be discharged, and that all further proceedings be stayed; contending, in the first instance, that the articles of the peace were insufficient upon the face of them; the second objection was, that the defendant, Mr. Gray, ought to have sought remedy in a court of equity; thirdly, that the exibitant did not show in his articles of peace that the magistrates had improperly dismissed the case, or that since it was dismissed any new facts had come to light which altered the case.  The learned counsel grounded his first objection, viz., that the articles were insufficient, because they stated that the exibitant could not visit the counting house of Mr. Mallinson, which it was highly important for him that he should be able to do, without fear of violence or injury.  The articles ought to have said that he was in fear of his life or some serious bodily injury.  Another objection was the harm which was to happen to him if he did a certain thing.  It depended on a contingency, and there was no precedent for articles of the peace being drawn up in such a form.  He also proposed to show by affidavits that the exhibitant was merely a servant of the defendant, and had been engaged at weekly wages, and he contended that the Court would not, merely upon the affidavit of a person who said he was a partner, grant articles of peace against his master for turning him out of doors.  Lord Campbell said the Court could not admit affidavits to contradict the articles; and upon the other point he thought the articles were sufficient.  Sir F. Thesiger, who appeared on the part of the exhibitant, was not called upon.  The defendant then entered into his own recognizance in £400, with two sureties of £200 each, to keep the peace, and left the court.


    [John Mallinson, Tree 4, born 1 April 1821, son of George Mallinson and Elizabeth Ashton. He married Emma Crosland, daughter of George Crosland, Manufacturer of Crosland Moor, 29 May 1844 at St. Peter’s, Huddersfield.  He was not in Huddersfield, or in the U.K. at all, when the 1851 census was taken some eight weeks later, on Sunday 30th March.  In the census, Emma was at the family home, Thick Hollins, Meltham (now a golf club-house) with one of their children.  They were divorced in London 1 Feb 1866, on the grounds of his desertion.  Thomas Gray appears in the 1851 census at Roll 3295, Folio 615, Schedule 46, Belgrave Terrace, aged 37, Woollen Merchant, born Shifnal, Shropshire, a close neighbour of George Mallinson at Newhouse.]








    On Monday last there was considerable interest manifested in the town on account of its being known that the Wesleyan Reformers were going to lay the foundation stone of their new chapel.  The members of the Free Wesleyan body and their friends met in considerable numbers in the Philosophical-hall at two o’clock in the afternoon and proceeded in the following order,


Architect and Contractors.

Church office bearers.

Members of the Church.


Sunday scholars.

Day scholars.


    The procession proceeded along Ramsden-street, Queen-street, King-street, New-street, Westgate, and up New North-road, to the site of the intended building in Firth-street.  The following will convey to our readers some idea of what the chapel will be:- The chapel will rise, exclusive of the school-rooms underneath, to the height of 65 feet, and will have a frontage of 89 feet, and extend from front to back 95 feet, the distance the chapel will stand from the road will be 35 feet.  It will be lighted by twenty-one windows, seven in front and the rest at the sides, and the entrance will be gained by a flight of five steps.  The style of architecture will be Italian, enriched in a manner which has much pleased the patrons of Mr Kirk (the architect) who have seen the plan and elevation.  Its front to Firth-street rises to a point and is finished with a medallion cornice.  The two projecting wings will afford separate access to the gallery.  The central windows are relieved and flanked by plasters and columns of the Corinthian order, surmounted by a bold pedimented cornice.  The central entrance has afforded an opportunity seized by the architect, of giving effect to the building by a portico rising with four columns, with rich Corinthian capitals, medallion cornice, and open balustrade blocking.  The open area on each side of the portico is shielded by ornamental stone balustrades.  The windows are all deeply recessed, with moulded circular arches and keystones; and the whole building – front, side, and back is finished in all its details - cornice and pediment – in careful harmony with the general idea.  The interior we may divide into the basement for the schools and the chapel above.  The principal schoolroom is 63 ft. by 52 ft., rising a clear 14 ft. in height.  It will accommodate 600 pupils in classes.  In addition to the central schoolroom, there are nine class-rooms, each accommodating 25 pupils, or 225 to be thus taught in separate rooms.  There is a separate interior entrance to the chapel gallery for the scholars.  The interior of the chapel presents, on its floor area, seats for rental for 404 and free seats for 140 persons.  The gallery will afford rented seating for 356 persons, and accommodate 500 scholars; the chapel thus seating in all 1,400.  The ceiling will be thrown into deep panels, with bold enriched cornice; the organ will be placed in the gallery behind the pulpit. The whole building will be warmed with hot water, and the lighting of the chapel by sunlights will afford all the requisite facilities for ventilation.  The school and classrooms will be separately ventilated. At the back of the chapel will stand a spacious vestry, to contain 200, and a minister’s vestry.  The chapel front and wings will be built entirely of white Ashlar stone; the dressings of the windows, cornices, &c., of the same material.  The remainder will be built of chopped wallstones from the Cowcliffe Quarries.  The roof will be of green Westmoreland slates, the windows of ground glass, and in front of British plate, all having coloured margins.  The whole of the pewing is of Petersburg deal varnished, with mahogany coping and book cupboards.  The pulpit is to be of Spanish mahogany, in character with the building, with a communion pew in front.  Adjoining the chapel will be a residence for the chapel–keeper.  The whole of the ground occupied is 2,115 yards.  The cost of the building will be about  £6000.  The contractors are – masonry, H. and J. Holdsworth; joinery, Wm. Fawcett and Sons; plastering, Thomas Clayton; plumbing, Wm.Lidster; painting, Hayley and Sykes; slating, William Goodwin; ironfounding, Henry Brooke; all of Huddersfield.  When the procession arrived on the site many hundreds of people were assembled, and the number of persons was soon very much increased by fresh arrivals, until the time when the stone was laid there could not have been less than 3,500 persons present.  When the time arrived for the ceremony to commence, the Rev. J. Collier, (the intended pastor of the chapel) said that in consequence of the severity of the weather the proceedings after the stone had been laid would take place in Ramsden-street chapel, which had been kindly lent for the purpose.


The Rev. R. BRUCE, M.A., (Independent) gave out the 738th hymn, Wesleyan selection. “Great God! Thy watchful care we bless.”


The Rev. J. HANSOM next read the 132nd Psalm, in a very impressive manner.


    JOSEPH BRIERLEY, Esq., said he had been desired to present the trowel and mallet to George Mallinson, Esq., he knew of no gentleman to whom with greater propriety the pleasing honour, and duty of laying the foundation stone of the Free Wesleyan Chapel could be intrusted; not only for the past services which that gentleman had rendered to his co-religionists, but for the interest he had always manifested in the success of that body.  In the hour of trial when fortitude was most required, Mr. Mallinson by his example, and otherwise, had gained the esteem and affection of all.  He could say without flattery that whilst all the members recognised no other head, and no other foundation than Christ, yet he would say in the language of men that he stood in relation to the Free Wesleyan church here as the foundation stone does to the building about to be erected upon it.  He hoped that Mr. Mallinson might not only live to see the erection of the chapel, for which he had earnestly worked and thought but that he might live to see all his hopes realised in connection with it.  The trowel and mallet were then presented to Mr. Mallinson.  The trowel is by Mr. Heslop, silversmith, it is a very handsome implement, the handle is of carved ivory, and in the centre of the blade, the following is inscribed – “Presented to George Mallinson, Esq., by the members and office bearers, on the occasion of laying the foundation stone of the Free Wesleyan Chapel, Huddersfield, on Easter Monday, April 5th, 1858.”  The mallet, which is of rosewood, has a similar inscription, with the exception that it is presented by Mr. Kirk, the architect.  The inscription is on a silver shield attached to the mallet.  Within the cavity appointed was placed a black tin box, hermetically sealed, the silver coins of the realm, and copies of the Huddersfield Examiner, and Chronicle, the Times, two Manchester and one Leeds paper.  The stone, which weighed about two tons, and is from the Bradley quarry, was then adjusted, and previously to its being placed in its bed.


    GEORGE MALLINSON, Esq., said if he did not feel grateful for the expression of affection made by Mr. Brierley, he should be the veriest ingrate in the world; he felt grateful also for the manner in which the work had been intrusted to him to do.  He had however done all he could to evade the duty; he thought the work might have been placed in abler hands, but it appeared to be the general wish of the members that he should do it.  Having now taken up the cross, he regarded the work he was about as no less a duty than a privilege.  He hoped that this day would be remembered by the children of their children, and the church of which he was about to lay the foundation stone would stand to the end of time as a temple for the worship of God.  The stone was then laid in its place and having used both trowel and mallet he said “I lay this foundation stone intending that a house to God’s glory shall be raised upon it in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost; consecrated to the worship of the Great Creator, and raised for the well-being of man.”


    The Rev. J. BARKER, of Lockwood, gave out the doxology, which being sung, the procession returned in the same order in which it arrived, and proceeded to Ramsden- street chapel; after the audience had seated themselves, the Rev. J. Collier gave out an hymn, which was beautifully sung by those present.


G. MALLINSON, Esq., rose and said – Christian Friends – We are called upon this day to perform duties we could not at one time have anticipated – duties we never have sought to perform, duties we never desired to perform, but duties imposed upon us by circumstances over which we have had no control.  It is well known that we have had a controversy with the Wesleyan Conference, which has continued seven years.  The subject of that controversy has been about ecclesiastical rights.  We did believe, and still believe, that the people ought to have some part in the management of their own affairs, and a voice in the settlement of all ecclesiastical questions connected with the church of which they are members.  We have sought by all proper and peaceable means to obtain our rights without a split from the body; but no proposition we could make, however rational, or just or useful, or however much in harmony with the letter or the spirit of God’s word, was of any avail.  They constantly contended that it was the inalienable right of the minister to govern the church independent of the people; but to that we never could submit, it being, as we think, contrary to the word and will of God.  When we saw it was impossible to get any satisfactory arrangement, or that peace should ever be restored without the entire abandonment of our manhood and intelligence, together with our church rights and independence as Englishmen, we came to a determination in the fear of God, rather than do this, we would form a Free Wesleyan Church, and build a place of worship for ourselves.  Up to this time we have succeeded beyond our most sanguine expectations.  Thank God, we have kept the church together, and it is on the increase.  The last six months we have added thirty-nine members, that is since the Rev. James Collier became our pastor.  We have also a number on trial, who will in all probability, be added to the church during the present quarter.  Our congregations also are very good, and have been so all the year.  It is twelve months since we left the Methodist old Connexion.  According to present appearances, the place where we now worship will soon be too small for us.  It affords me great pleasure in saying we have unbroken peace and the greatest unanimity that can be expected in any church where there is freedom corresponding with that enjoined by the New Testament.  We do not understand the term “freedom” or “free church” means that every person is at liberty to do as he likes.  No, we prefer to understand it as meaning that we are all at liberty to do right; and to do right in church matters is to carry out the principles laid down by the church in her aggregate capacity.  In all churches where they have order they must have officers to perform the duties pertaining to those several offices necessary for carrying on the work of God.  In all cases when officers are appointed by the church, it is the duty of each member to obey them that have rule over them.  And now, dear friends, God has permitted us to see the first stone laid of a house intended for Himself.  I hope, and believe we all hope, that it will be made a great blessing to the town of Huddersfield, but especially to the neighbourhood in which it is erected.  We greatly desire that many sinners may be brought to that knowledge of the truth and converted to God by the instrumentality of the gospel intended to be preached there. Brethren, unite with me in offering the prayer of Moses – “Make us glad according to the days wherein Thou hast afflicted us, and the years wherein we have seen evil.  Let Thy work appear unto Thy servants, and Thy glory unto their children; and let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us; and establish Thou the work of our hands upon us, yea the work of our hands establish Thou it.“ Allow me to request the members of this church to make it a subject of daily prayer that God would be pleased to preserve the men engaged in the erection of His house from all misfortune, but especially from sudden and unexpected death.  We are glad to see many of our Christian friends of other denominations.  We take it as an evidence that they approve of the course we have taken, and that we have their sympathy.  We can assure you we are very wishful to be on the best of terms with all the orthodox churches in the town and neighbourhood, and shall be willing to co-operate in any project that has for its object the honour of God and the good of our fellow-men, if it comes within the compass of our ability, and is not inharmonious with our circumstances in other respects.  Notwithstanding the favourable report I have given of our present circumstances it must not be imagined we have had to walk in silver slippers.  We have had difficulties, and are prepared to expect we may yet have more.  We are not insensible as to the amount of responsibility we have undertaken to lay out £6000; but we have done it from a sense of duty, and in the fear of God.  We know He has said, “The silver is Mine and the gold is Mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.”  We throw ourselves, therefore, on God and the liberality of the public.


The Rev. ENOCH MELLOR then engaged in prayer, after which,


The Rev. J. COLLIER read the following explanation of the objects and principles of the Free Wesleyans: -


You have been invited to witness the laying of the foundation stone of a most important structure. Had you been summoned to witness the commencement of some secular structure  – a museum, a library, or some hall connected with the circle of the arts and sciences - you could not contemplate it without some expenditure of thought and emotion.  Had you been summoned to observe the commencement of a building in which it was more than probable that you and many of your posterity would live and die, you could not contemplate the first step towards its erection without musing thoughtfully on the probable consequences likely to occur.  But you are called to observe the commencement of a house for God, a dwelling place for Him who inhabits immensity and constitutes eternity.  You cannot have listened to the reasonable and sensible address of my beloved friend, - you cannot have pondered the appropriate and admirable prayer, wafted to the skies, and now engaging the attention of the “Hearer of Prayer,” without sacred and peculiar interest.  May it be answered,  “God be merciful to us, and bless us, and cause his face to shine upon us.” Solemn interests are involved in the occurrences of this hour, interests springing out of the past, and stretching onward to the future.  This engagement leads our thoughts to the Unseen and Infinite.  It tells of a communion between earth and heaven.  It reminds us of the ladder which Jacob saw in vision, on which the angels of God were ascending and descending, which prompted the expression, “How dreadful is this place!  This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.”  In erecting this building it may be asked, What is your purpose – your design?  We reply as a Christian Church and congregation, neither few in number, nor unimportant in elements, we need such a place of resort.  We sympathise with him who said, “I will not give sleep to mine eyes, or slumber to mine eyelids, until I find out a place for the Lord, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob.”  We know that the lights of heaven are often obscured by earthly mists, and here we build a tower of observation, which ascending, we may gaze on their unclouded brightness.  And as the waves of our earthly anxieties and solicitudes roll around us, here we build a “Pharos,” a light-house to guide us upon a dark and stormy sea; and long as that lofty tower stands, may it bear the blessed light of guidance and hope to our children and our children’s children. This building is not intended for the utterance of any extraordinary novelties, of any strange and singular opinions, nor for any controversial denominational dogmas; we would have it be a fountain whence the living streams of divine truth may issue copiously and constantly.  We would devote it to the unceasing announcement and defence of the work and glory of the Redeemer.  Every heart, I am convinced, will respond to the sentiment, that no other doctrine will ever be taught within its walls except the doctrine of salvation by faith, which comprehends all that is fundamental in Christianity, a synonyme for the gospel itself.  Rather let its walls never be raised, its foundation never stand, than that they should ever witness the dignity and the divinity of the Redeemer, - the glories of his atonement – thrown into the shade. May no song of praise be every sung within it unrelated to the Lamb.  May no intercessions be made in it but such as shall be connected with His death and intercession.  Nor is this building, whose corner stone has just been laid, less connected with man’s welfare than the announcement of the Saviour’s glory.  Were it otherwise, no building on earth would be so completely purposeless.  Here will be the footstool of mercy, not the confessional; the seat of instruction, not the altar of immolation; the teaching of the pastor, not the genuflections and symbolical actions of the priest; here the way to the temple above will be traced by his blood who bowed his head in death.  In erecting this sanctuary, we provide for the essential, the spiritual welfare of man.  Here the rich and poor will meet together on a level; the servant and master standing on the same floor, on equal terms in the presence of their Maker.  Here will God’s gracious expedient of forgiveness be held forth; “may thousands accept of it.”  And concerning this Zion, when God shall number the people may it be said, “This and that man was born there.”  In one word, here may numbers be fitted for that period of being when time and all its accomplishments shall be no longer.  Such are some of the purposes we have in view in erecting this place of worship. 




Having been invited to witness the ceremonial of this day, you naturally expect some explanation our ecclesiastical polity and principles.  We are most willing to submit them to your attention and investigation without disguise and without offence.  Believing them to be in harmony with the Word of God: we would assign some reasons for our personal and congregational adoption of them.  We ask your consideration and candour in listening to our statement. – We profess to be a Church, an aggregation of believers, true disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ.  We will endeavour to establish it.  The Church of God, taking this important term in its most comprehensive scriptural use, comprises all the regenerated, redeemed children of men that have been, are, or shall be gathered under Christ the head thereof.  The Saviour has purchased them with his own blood.  They are “sanctified and cleansed with the washing of water by the word.”  They shalt at last be constituted “a glorious community, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.”  Such is her high and sacred destination.  It is one, which no other association is intended or fitted to sustain.  Besides this more general use of the term Church, it is not less manifest that it is employed in the New Testament to denote particular communities, designated “Churches;” and these consist of a number of believers, habitually assembling for the worship of God in one place.  This view of a church is in accordance with the 19th Article of the Church of England: “The visible Church of Christ is a congregation of faithful men, in the which the pure Word of God is preached, and the sacraments be duly ministered according to Christ’s ordinance.”  But we appeal to the New Testament for the use of the term.  In a city there was usually one such church, “the Church at Jerusalem; the Church of God, which is at Corinth.”  In an extended region, comprising a province or a kingdom with many cities, there were several such churches: The Churches of Judea which were in Christ; the Churches of Galatia; the Churches of Macedonia; these, and kindred communities, are always spoken of as churches, never as a church.  Satisfactory evidence of true discipleship was the sole qualification for membership with these Christian communities.  “Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God.”  Erring members were to be faithfully dealt with, the forfeiture of Christian character was to be followed by exclusion from the Christian community; “therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.”  The Corinthians were required to exclude one who had polluted and dishonoured their society; the Galatians were enjoined to restore a penitent offender; the Thessalonians were warned “to withdraw themselves from every brother walking disorderly.”  All these and kindred injunctions, the churches were empowered to carry into effect with no exterior aid, or more decisive authority.  Churches thus constituted are to be radiating points for the diffusion of the light of truth and holiness throughout the earth.  They are to be reservoirs of spiritual influence, from which streams are to flow forth carrying with them agencies energetic and salutary.  Permit an additional remark.  Each particular church had within itself a two-fold order of officers - those who sustained the pastoral office, and those who administered temporal affairs.  These functionaries are designated pastors and deacons.  Do you ask concerning the office and jurisdiction of the former?  We regard him, when duly chosen, as invested with all those powers that can, in any way, contribute to the edification and spiritual benefit of those whose minister he is.  It is his to instruct them by public preaching as well as private admonition, to watch over them in their religious conduct, and regard them as committed, in a very important sense, to his care, and concerning them he must give account in the great and terrible day of the Lord.  The deacons, seven in number, we conceive were appointed not to spiritual, but to secular engagements, to manage financial matters, to distribute to such as were in need, the poor, the aged, the sick, and the infirm.  They acted, in short, as the churches’ treasurers, stewards, and almoners.  Churches thus organized are, we believe according to the New Testament, competent for the management of their own affairs.  They may choose their own modes of worship or forms of administration, may elect their own pastors or other officers, adjust their own differences arising among themselves, and transact all which belongs to them as a separate community.  Nevertheless, in some instances such communities may require, and ought then to solicit counsel and assistance from sister or surrounding churches, which may with propriety be imparted.  It is not be supposed that churches formed upon this model are without law, or the administration of law.  We are not the advocates of insubordination, spiritual anarchy, any more than we would tolerate scorching despotism.  As we defy the one, we would condemn the other.  We claim no legislative power, but receive the New Testament as supplying the law of Christ, exhibited in the conduct and instruction of his apostles.  To the pastor belongs the administration of that law; which however is exercised, not by his individual caprice, but according the suffrages of the community.  Being placed over the community, he, in administering the law of Christ, is sustained by them.  We would thus affirm the “crown rights of the Son of God.”  Such, Christian friends and townsmen, is the order adopted and established by us as a church.  In it we think we recognise the wisdom and goodness of the Head of the Church, and we perceive in it a security for the conservation of truth and piety.  In it there is nothing dark or intricate.  We have no multiplication of courts; no cumbrous machinery, operating alike to embarrass and to perplex.  Our single and undivided authority is the will of the Saviour; and our rule, invariable and absolute, the word of God.  The church and congregation would hardly pardon me, did I not, as their minister, declare their willingness to interchange offices of mutual kindness and to hold fellowship with all Christian Churches in the town and neighbourhood.  From several of them we have received sympathy.  We would recognise such, and be recognised by them.  We would cordially regard and greet them with the family affection which is peculiar to the genius and spirit of the gospel.  We would also co-operate in all benevolent and useful confederacies for the glory of God and the benefit of man.  Missionary movements, the evangelisation of our own working classes, Sabbath schools, and kindred movements, have our hearty support.  We would cultivate the spirit of universal love, hastening that day when the world itself shall become the church, and preparing for that state in which the church shall be one - one in faith, in feeling, and in worship, in a higher sense than can be witnessed here; in that region of lustre and loveliness the jars and jealousies of earth will not obtain.  Professing and calling ourselves Christians, we would have this affection, we would have it pre-eminently.  May the Head of the Church make it to be so, and to be so universally, by pouring down upon us “the Spirit from on high,” and by diffusing and sustaining in each of us light in the intellect, love in the heart, and power in the life.  The principles of religion held by the Free Wesleyans were next enumerated by Mr. Collier, but, as they are essentially the same as those held by all evangelical denominations, we do not think it necessary to publish them here.  The rev. gentleman then said: In conclusion, Christian friends, we have entered on a great work.  We would view it in the highest light; as an honour to those who projected it, as intended to render service to the cause of religion.  But we regard it chiefly as connected with that great system of agencies, by which God is subduing all things to himself.  In such an aspect it becomes invested with permanent importance, as included in that infinite plan which subordinates all our movements to its own designs, and which, while it demands the energy and activity of every agent in the universe, yet absolutely stands in need of none; thus regarded, we feel enabled while rendering it the humblest service.  We hasten at once to place this prospective building under the guidance, and at the disposal of Him, for whom are all things, and by whom all things consist.  In doing so, we shall secure for it a patronage which will make it subservient to the highest end.  This is only due to our God; to his cross who bled on Calvary, we would link it as a humble instrumentality, and though its name reminds us of no patron saint, and its resources of no royal munificence, yet “The Highest himself shall establish it,” and to us he will, in effect, repeat his ancient promise, “from this day will I bless you.”  Spirit of the living God, baptise us all with fire.

The Rev. Mr. SIMPSON next offered prayer and the audience retired to the Philosophical hall, where an ample tea had been provided, to which about 750 persons sat down.  After tea, the company re-assembled in Ramsden-street Chapel.




The evening meeting was held in Ramsden-street Chapel, which was crowded in every part by a very earnest assemblage.


The Rev. Mr. COLLIER called upon Mr. Brierly to take the chair, the audience testifying their approbation by frequent clapping of hands.


Mr. BRIERLY then came forward when the applause became most vociferous.  He said that had he consulted his own judgment and feelings, he should have remained a passive listener and spectator of what was going to take place; but in deference to Mr. Collier for whom he had a great esteem, and in obedience to the wishes of the large audience before him, he would endeavour to do his duty. (Applause.)  Now that he had taken the chair he felt sure that there would be no boasting of any particular religion, no glorying in any system, but a rigid adherence to the principles of the gospel of Christ.  (Hear, hear.)  But on the other hand whilst there would be no boasting or glorying in any particular system, there would be no despondency, but a hopeful earnest advocacy.  (Applause.)  He felt that much had been done for the glory of God that day; all could see that he and his friends had not laboured in vain.  As Mr. Mallinson had said, the injunction of the Apostles had been fulfilled, “be you faithful amongst yourselves.”  In building the church the Wesleyan Reformers had not been actuated by a factious spirit, but rather a spirit of love; they thought that as the ocean was large enough for the vessels of all nations to sail on without coming into collision, so was the great ocean of Christianity large enough for all sects and all men. (Applause.)


The Rev. Mr. CHISHOLM was delighted to have heard the statement made by the Rev. Mr. Collier, during the afternoon meeting.  He was delighted because of the progress made by the Wesleyan Reformers.  He deplored the disunion between different sects of Christians, believing that scepticism rejoiced and was benefitted when disagreements took place; but when there was a complete union, there was a spectacle which if it did not gladden their hearts, at least excited their admiration.  (Applause.)  Mr. Collier had said in the statement he had read, that laying the foundation stone of the structure which it was intended to rear, was of greater moment and ought to be more interesting, than if the first stone of a museum, or other public building had been laid.  (Hear, hear.)  He was glad to see his friends the reformers had gone to work in a right spirit.  In erecting a chapel where they had done, he hoped they would not try to make this chapel a fashionable one.  It was one of the greatest curses a church had to contend with, was getting fashionable congregations.  A settled idea existed in the minds of some people that a large congregation was all that was required, he would tell them that it was the saving of souls which was required.  (Hear, hear.) He prayed that all men would try to make their lives living epistles of gospel truth, and invoked the blessing of God on the members of the church who intended to worship in the new structure.  The speaker sat down amidst much applause.


The CHAIRMAN had pleasure in introducing to the meeting Mr. Unwin, of Sheffield, a gentleman who was not unknown to many present, as one who had many years ago, in the Philosophical-hall, laboured to save souls.  He considered him an apostle of the church.


Mr. UNWIN was enthusiastically received.  He said there was nothing little in Christianity, nothing small in anything that had any connection with religion.  (Hear, hear.)  He was sure, on the other hand, there was something great in the laying the foundation stone of a place of worship to the Most High.  Still it was not in temples made by hands in which God delighted, it was in the human heart in which God dwelt, and in which he had pleasure.  He hoped every person present would pray for the success of those who built the temple and for those who would, he trusted, fill it.  He prayed for the Christian spirit to come over his hearers, so that sinners might be brought to God.  The chairman had alluded to the services in which he had taken part in the Philosophical-hall some ten years ago.  He (the speaker) felt touched when he entered the hall, the scene of his former labours.  (Applause.)  If there was one thing more than another he could like, it would be to hold a prayer meeting there.  (Loud applause.)  He was now engaged in Sheffield doing God’s work in the Surrey Music-hall every Sunday.  (This place is a casino devoted to singing and dancing.)  This hall would hold 3,500 persons, and every Sabbath it was crowded.  (Applause.)  Six days it was devoted to the service of the Devil, but on the seventh it was used for the glory of God.  (Applause.)  It might be asked, “Why do you go there?”  If it was, he would answer, “I and others go there to purge men of their sins.”  (Applause.)  A mighty work had been, by the help of God, inaugurated in Sheffield.  There was a revival of religion there; special services had been held there with the happiest results, and many sinners had been brought to God.  (Great excitement.)  Whole families had been converted by the special services held.  This had been going on thirty weeks; it was not the excitement of a day or an hour; it was still increasing in magnitude – (cheers) – and he felt proud to tell them that upwards of six thousand sinners had been brought to the cross of Christ, during the time named.  (Great excitement.)  All this had been done without injury to any denomination in the town; when people came they were asked to what church they belonged; some answered that they were members of the Church of England, others that they were Independents, others that they were Methodists; after their conversion they were sent back to their own church, and therefore instead of the various sects being weakened they were strengthened.  (Applause.)  The speaker concluded by saying the revivals of religion in America and England at the present time, were not exceptional ones, but that the account of such revivals may be found in the history of all denominations in the country.  (Applause.)


Rev. ENOCH MELLOR, M.A., of Halifax, said he had felt his soul lifted up with the spirited address of the speaker who had just sat down.  He liked the “good hearty Doric” in which it was delivered; and thought it would be much better if all ministers tried to address themselves plainly to their audiences, in the same manner in which Mr. UNWIN had done - (hear, hear) – for then a deal of sense would be spoken in a very small compass.  The evil of polished addresses to the working classes were that they were soon forgotten.  (Laughter and applause.)  In the present day it was of the last importance that there should be a more common-sense way of speaking to the people.  (Hear, hear.)  Much had been missed through this not having been done.  Polished language was quite in its place in a lecture room, before a select audience, but on an occasion like the present it was proper for those who addressed the audience to dismount from Pegasus.  First, if that was not done, words might be spoken that the speaker himself did not understand; second, because the people could not understand what was addressed to them; and thirdly, because the speakers might break their necks in a too hasty descent.  (Laughter.)  After a few other remarks, the speaker said that many men when they had done anything had often to ask themselves whether they had not done wrong; but when a man came to help forward what he had come forward to aid, the question would never arise, because he would feel he was doing right.  This was how he (the speaker) felt; if he lived to be a hundred years old he should never regret coming to Huddersfield.  (Applause.)  The persons present were aware that he was an Independent, but he should not speak of Independency – not that he loved Independency less, but he loved the gospel more.  (Applause.)  The gospel of Christ could live under any form of government, it could adapt itself to any circumstances, it was liberty in itself.  (Hear, hear.)   Whether a man lived amongst the cedars of Lebanon, or whether he lived where the red moss of Greenland grew, the gospel suited his purpose.  (Applause.)  He was, as he had told them, an Independent, but he was addressing free Wesleyans in Ramsden-street chapel, Huddersfield; in this was the unity so much to be desired among Christian churches.  This union was advancing every day, it might be seen perhaps in a few years that the Free Wesleyans were worshipping upon an occasion in the Parish Church – (applause) – if that were seen no one would deny that the millenium was not far off.  He believed that the differences between the sects were rapidly vanishing and he was glad to see it.  He longed to see the time when Christians of all denominations would be glad to meet each other in the street, and hold out the right hand of fellowship to each other.  (Applause.)  He asked was it not time to throw down the barriers which divided the different sects?  (Cries of "it is, it is.") Yes it was, and the barriers shook at the breath of the question –(applause)- he prayed God to hasten the time.  He warned his hearers not to think that when the place of worship was built, all was done that was necessary; it was not so, the business was only beginning.  The building, the minister, and the teachers, he would compare to machines, they were the machines to do the work; the salvation of souls was the result of their labours.  He called upon all present to aid that glorious work, those who did so would never regret it.  The speaker dwelt with much force upon the feeling of dependence upon the minister displayed by those members of a church who were taken ill.  He deprecated the feeling which would not allow of a deacon being sent for to an ailing brother or sister, characterising it as wrong, because it was the means of a sort of priestcraft growing up in protestant sects which was likely to cause harm.  He did not like the Christianity of those who tried to keep it to themselves, he advised a more thorough communion between Christians of all creeds, and quoted the beginning of the 34th Psalm, “Oh taste and see the Lord is good,” as expressive of his meaning.  The services of those who “do good by stealth and blush to find it fame,” were adverted to by the rev. gentleman, as were also the services of those who never work unless the eye of the world is upon them.  The latter did not meet with his approval, he explained how the “coral insect” from the bottom of the ocean at last rears an island for the abode of man.  The revivals in Sheffield had been alluded to by his friend Mr. Unwin with great force, some people had a horror of them, but he had no sympathy with such men; there was an old saying “the more the merrier” which he was very fond of; there could not be too many converts to God.  He prayed the blessing of the Almighty upon those present.  (Applause.)


Mr. MATHTHEW HALE was glad to respond to the call of the chairman, in order to address the audience. He must express his strong passion for liberty; he could not sit down without saying he would like to address the first audience in the new building.  He advocated mutual forbearance amongst different sects, believing that the glory of God would be much advanced by so doing.  He hoped the new building would be blessed in the fruit it would gather for the Saviour.  (Applause.)


The CHAIRMAN said it was pleasant to renew old acquaintances and he was glad to say that the Rev. Mr. Caughey, who had laboured in Huddersfield, would next address the meeting.  Ten years ago, Mr. Caughey had laboured here and was much beloved, but since that time he had been to his fatherland and no doubt he was prepared to tell the audience of his successes and reverses.


The Rev. J. CAUGHEY on rising was greeted with repeated rounds of applause.  He said it was a long time since he last addressed the people of Huddersfield, but whilst away from them in person he was with them in mind.  His engagements at the present time were neither few nor trifling, and he could assure the audience, there were few towns in England that he would have come to on an invitation like the present; when however he received one from Huddersfield he could not refuse.  (Applause.)  The applause with which he was greeted seemed to fill the chapel with melody; he felt he was amongst his old friends.  When he attended a temperance, anti-slavery, missionary or Bible meetings he was at no loss for a theme, but on the present occasion he felt quite at a loss what to say!  If he had slavery to oppose he would very soon do it; he liked hammering at slavery, it was the fatal curse of his country.  Whilst he had been in America, he had travelled over mountains, lakes, and prairies, and up rivers so gigantic that the rivers here were mere creeks.  He had seen the Mississippi, which was so great that it was called in the language by the Indians “The father of waters,” it was four thousand miles long, but he would tell them of something else.  Whilst he had been in the States he had written and published a book on Huddersfield; he loved his old friends and wanted his American brethren to love them too.  (Cheers.)  Thousands now had that book and Huddersfield people were as well known as was also the cloth which they sent to all quarters of the world.  (Applause.)  He had often when away prayed for the people of Huddersfield, and he could not express the pleasure he felt in visiting the place once more.  Soldiers liked to visit the battle field, the scene of their former triumphs.  The great Duke of Wellington revisited Waterloo more than once.  The first time Wellington went he found the ground dug up and many alterations made, this made him feel displeased.  He would rather have seen the ground remain in the same state it was on that day in which the enemy of liberty was defeated.  But there was something to have pleased him on another visit, a mighty monument towering aloft and likely to last as long as the Pyramids of Egypt.  There was an enormous lion on this monument, a symbol of his power; all this had been done to commemorate the great battle, which had given peace to Europe for nearly half a century.  (Applause.)  But if the great duke found a change when he visited Waterloo, what was it to what he (the speaker) found on revisiting Huddersfield?  The ground had been dug up, splendid buildings had been erected for the use of man, and also some dedicated to God.  (Hear, hear.)  There had been differences amongst them since he had been last in Huddersfield, but he hoped before long he should address the present audience in old Queen-street Chapel.  (Loud cheers.) He could like to have addressed them in their own chapel; that time would come soon he hoped.  (Cheers.)  He thanked God he was on the old ground again.  (Applause.)  He could recognise some old faces here and there, but they were few, the majority he saw before him were young people, many had left the town since he was here before, and many had gone to their blessed Redeemer.  (Great applause.)  He had come from the land of collisions, explosions, floods, and tornados, and fires; he had had some hair breadth escapes, but had got safely to old England again.  At one place he landed from a steamer, and in a few hours after she was burnt; whilst in another part of the country he had not left a railway train more than a few minutes, when the train ran off the rails, and many passengers were killed; at another time he had not left a steamer long, before, on continuing her voyage, she struck on a sunken rock, and foundered.  (Sensation.)  He believed it was the providence of God which saved him from destruction.  (Applause.)  In Him he had placed his trust, and He had been his salvation.  It was often said that the Americans were great boasters; it was true, but they had something to boast of.  In America was the largest cataract in the world – the mighty Niagara; there also was the largest river, the largest cave, the largest natural bridge, and the largest mass of iron in the world.  So that it would be at once acknowledged, that Americans did not boast without reason.  There was another thing which the United States of America possessed, that he had not identified before; the greatest number of slaves in the world.  That was something to boast of was it not?  he thought not, it draped all the glory of the States.  He often reflected and felt sad, when he thought of the number of his fellow creatures condemned to slavery in his own country, but he would never cease to do battle with all his might against that grievous wrong.  (Cheers.)  He prayed God would aid him in his endeavour, to do what he could towards accomplishing the liberty of the negro race.  (Hear, hear.) He was sorry to say that religious men held slaves in the States as well as others.  The speaker told the audience about the number of various sects in the United States, the most numerous of which were the Methodists; he said they possessed eight daily papers, two Theological Institutes, besides much property and influence.  The proportion of Methodists would be about two thirds of the whole number of Christians, and they were increasing fast.  The revivals in that country he attributed to the influence of each minister acting together, he said they were willing to aid each other at all times; he then proceeded to observe that the revival was spreading, it was in full force in Sheffield, and he hoped Huddersfield would not be long without it.  The perplexities suffered by each denomination, was, and ought to be a subject of regret to the rest.  But he had observed in the course of his life that those people who seceded and tried to put the old body down, always failed and went down themselves; and on the other hand those who devoted their attention to the salvation of souls, always succeeded, and continued prosperous.  He was glad to see this had been done in Huddersfield; the Free Wesleyans had separated, but instead of injuring others they did Christ’s work. (Applause.)  He felt sure they would not try to rob other denominations, there were plenty of sinners in the world.  (Applause.)  What a solemn thing it was to lay the foundation stone of a house intended to be dedicated to the worship of the Most High.  The day on which many a sinner had laid the foundation of his salvation.  After some remarks about the structure intended to be erected, he concluded by advising all the members to contribute liberally towards the support of their own church; and said that if he was in England when the first sermon was preached in the new chapel, he would be present if possible, and hoped if he did come that he would see a Christian re-union.  (Long continued cheers.)


At this point the audience were very much excited; somebody in the middle of the chapel began to sing the hymn, “I love Jesus,” when the whole meeting joined in most heartily.


Mr. GEORGE GELDER said the present meeting reminded him of a meeting held twelve months ago; at that the people hardly knew what to do, they did not know whether they could have a place of worship or not; a great change had taken place, for now the foundation stone of a new building had been laid.  (Applause.) He could state that the Free Wesleyans did not intend to injure any other body of Christians by taking church members, there were plenty of sinners who wanted saving.  The Free Wesleyans had no enmity against the old body, they wished to hold out the right hand of fellowship, knowing there was room for all.  (Applause.)


Mr. JOHN CARR said that after the rich treat which had been afforded him, and the rest of the audience, he would not trouble them with a long speech.  He felt sure that he spoke the sentiments of all present, when he said that the Christian feeling, shown by all the different denominations present, had been of a very pleasing and remarkable character.  He looked forward with much pleasure to the day the new building would be opened, and he hoped the Rev. Mr. Caughey would be present at the opening.  (Applause.) 


Mr. WM. MALLINSON moved a vote of thanks to the ladies for their kindness in providing trays for the tea party.


Mr. JOSEPH BENTLEY seconded the motion which was carried unanimously.


Mr. JAMES MALLINSON rose to propose a vote of thanks to the trustees of Ramsden-street chapel, for their kindness in allowing the use of the chapel.


Mr. GEORGE SCHOLES seconded the proposition in a neat speech, and the motion was carried amidst much applause.


The CHAIRMAN said that the present was but one of the many instances in which the trustees of Ramsden-street Chapel had shewn their friendship for the Free Wesleyans.


The Rev. J. CAUGHEY rose, and in a few words asked the audience to pray for the success of the Free Wesleyans.  He told his hearers he was a believer in prayer, and wished them to avail themselves of it.  (Applause.)


Mr. WRIGLEY said he and his fellow-trustees were only too happy to do any service they could for Christ’s sake.  (Hear, hear.)  He felt pleased at seeing such a meeting within the walls of the chapel.  It was a real “evangelical alliance,” to see members of all denominations taking part in the present celebration.  (Hear, hear.)  The influence of religion was spreading greatly.  When he was in London lately, he went to hear Mr. Spurgeon; there was a vast assemblage present; he saw Mr. Spurgeon baptise twelve persons, among whom were a lady of title and her daughter.  (Cheers.)  In conclusion, he heartily wished the Free Wesleyans success, and bid them God speed. - (Applause.)


The Rev. J. COLLIER said that the Rev. R Skinner had regretted his inability to attend, as also the Rev. R. Bruce, who, however, was present when the foundation stone was laid.  He proposed the meeting should thank Mr. Brierly for his conduct in the chair, and for the service he had rendered to the cause of Christianity. – (Carried by acclamation.)


The CHAIRMAN returned thanks.  He had felt pleased with all the proceedings, and with the present meeting especially.  It had been intellectual treat for him, and to the audience, he was sure, to listen to the different speeches.  He hoped when they all met again, that all would be completed, and the chapel open.  He prayed the blessing of God upon all present.


The Doxology was then sung, after which the audience dispersed, shortly before ten o’clock.


Copyright (c) 2000-2015 J.S.Mallinson. All rights reserved.