Huddersfield Daily Examiner, 19 & 20 April 1881


John Mallinson Tree 4


(Précis): Tuesday. Messrs. W. & G. Pinder: circus on old fair grounds for some years. Horse and foot races at the Rifle Field, Greenhead Road. Four Miles Walking Handicap. The Criterion Stakes (for horses 13 hands and upwards kept within six miles of Huddersfield). Foot Race. The Huddersfield Stakes.

Juvenile Stakes: Flat race for ponies not exceeding 13 hands and upwards kept within six miles of Huddersfield. First prize: 6 guineas; second prize: 2 guineas; third prize: 1 guinea.

First heat: First Mr. Mallinson's brown mare, Polly. Second Mr. Challand's brown pony, Verge.

Second heat: First Mr. Field's grey gelding, Charlie. Second Mr. Whitehead's pony.

The first and second in each heat will run in the final.


Wednesday. Juvenile Stakes: Final heat.

1 prize: 3 guineas Mr. Field's Charlie

2nd prize: 2 guineas Mr. Challand's Verge

3rd prize: 1 guinea Mr. Whitehead's pony

Mr. Mallinson's Polly would have won the first prize easily, but for the breaking of her saddle girth, and consequent losing of her saddle, which put her out of the race.



Huddersfield Daily Examiner, 8 & 9 February 1882


George Mallinson Tree 9



An accident, resulting in the death of George Mallinson, a labourer in the employ of the London and Northwestern Railway Company, occurred on the railway at Colne Bridge yesterday afternoon. Along with a number of men, Mallinson was working on the line when a goods train came up in the direction of Huddersfield. They all left the up line and went to the side of the railway with the exception of Mallinson, who went into the six foot.

Just then a pilot engine came along from Huddersfield and it struck Mallinson and knocked him onto the up-line in front of the goods train, and it ran over him.

When the goods train had passed, it was found that Mallinson's left leg had been cut off at the thigh, his left arm cut off at the elbow, and besides both his shoulders being broken, portions of his left hand and right foot had been cut off.

Police constable Callaghan was at once informed and he had the remains removed to the White Cross Inn, where the inquest will be held. The deceased was a married man, about 45 years of age. He resided at Lepton, and had formerly served in the army.




An inquest was held at the White Cross Inn, Bradley, on Wednesday afternoon, touching the death of George Mallinson, aged forty-six years, a platelayer, who met with his death on the line at Bradley on Monday (6 February).

Mrs. Mallinson gave evidence of identification, and said her husband was an army pensioner, and had been in the service of the company about six years. He was a very active man and quick on his feet.

Joseph Beaumont, foreman platelayer, of Heaton Lodge, stated that deceased, along with three other men, was working under him on the up-line on Monday last, near Heaton Lodge. He (witness) saw a goods train approaching on the up-line. When it was about 100 yards away, he shouted to the men to "stand clear", and the whole of them except deceased stepped outside the up-line, but deceased stepped the other way into the six foot, and was struck by a pilot engine which was coming along the down line. He was thrown amongst the waggons of the goods train, and would be instantly killed.

Witness did not see the pilot engine approach, but deceased should have stepped on the same side as they did, which was the proper way.

Rowland Bottomley, of Hillhouse, the driver of the pilot engine, said that he never saw deceased on the line on the day in question, nor did he know anything about the occurrence till a platelayer came to Heaton Lodge to tell him of it. They then examined the buffers and found a bit of hair and a little blood on the right hand tender.

Police constable Callaghan said the deceased was very much mutilated. His left leg was cut off by the thigh, and his left arm by the elbow. His left shoulder was broken, part of his right foot and part of his right hand were also cut off. The jury found a verdict of accidental death, without blame to anyone.



Huddersfield Weekly Examiner, 22 April 1882


John Richard Mallinson Tree 2



On Thursday, about half past one, John Richard Mallinson, manufacturer, Cross Lane End, Almondbury, aged twenty-five years, was found in one of the bedrooms of his house with his throat cut, and he died within about ten minutes or a quarter of an hour. Henry Chambers, a painter, who was at work in another room, heard a gurgling sound, and in going into one of the bedrooms, found the deceased on the bed with a gash in his throat. A razor stained with blood was lying on the bed.



Stalybridge: The Reporter, Saturday, 2 February 1884 


             [Sarah Hindle, Tree S1, born 1834, Hollinwood, married William Mallinson, 30 December 1854, St. Michael’s, Ashton under Lyne, died 9 April 1898, aged 64, at 32 New Zealand Road, Stockport]


The Suspicious Death of a Stalybridge Woman.


Confession of One of the Accused.


             At the Salford Police Court, on Wednesday morning, Sarah Mallinson, described as a widow, of 124 Sussex Street, Lower Broughton, and William Smart, clerk at the Bradley Railway Station, near Huddersfield, were again brought up in custody charged with causing the death of Louisa Brierley, 28, of 6 Bayley Street, Stalybridge, by using means to procure abortion.  Superintendent Donoghue, who had charge of the case, applied for a further remand.  Mr. A.T.H. Evans, who represented Smart, opposed the application, but it was acceded to, and the prisoners were remanded until Monday morning next.

             Subsequently the adjourned inquest was held at the Vavasour Hotel, Sussex Street, Lower Broughton, before Mr. F. Price, the district coroner.  The two prisoners were present in custody,  Mr. Evans watching the case for Smart and Superintendent Donoghue for the police.  Last week evidence chiefly of identification was given, and the enquiry was adjourned to enable a post mortem examination to be made.

             Robert Maguire, physician and doctor of medicine and pathologist at the Manchester Royal Infirmary, residing at the Crescent, Salford, was the first witness now called.  He stated that on the 23rd January he made a post mortem examination of the body of the deceased, Louisa Brierley, at 124 Sussex Street, Lower Broughton.  From the appearance of the body, he was of opinion that death occurred about two or three days before.  It was that of a woman well nourished and well developed.  The cause of death was peritonitis, the result of an unlawful act produced by mechanical means.

             Alfred William Stocks, surgeon, 24 The Crescent, Salford, said he was present at the post mortem examination.  He corroborated the evidence of Dr. Maguire as to the appearance of the body and the internal organs, and the opinions he had expressed as to the cause of death.

             The prisoner, Sarah Mallinson, was asked by the Coroner if she had any questions to put to either medical man, and replied, “Not particularly.  I am guilty; that is all I can say.”

             Elizabeth Cavill, an elderly woman, was then called.  She said she was a widow and a charwoman.  She lived at 30 Hatton Street, Lower Broughton.  She had known the prisoner Sarah Mallinson for nearly two years.  She had been in the habit of going to her house washing and cleaning.  She first saw deceased there on Monday, the 14th January.  Mrs. Mallinson sent for her on the afternoon of that day to assist her in her housework.  The deceased was in the parlour.  She seemed to be in good health; witness did not notice that anything was the matter.  Witness saw her again on the following day, when she still seemed to be in good health.  On Wednesday night when witness saw her again she was in bed and appeared to be in great pain.  Between half past ten and eleven on Thursday morning she saw her again and she then appeared much easier.  She saw the prisoner William Smart at the house on the evening of the same day.  She saw the deceased on the following days up to and including Sunday.  She continued to grow worse, and on the Sunday was in great pain.  Witness applied fomentations of hot water in her by the direction of Mrs. Mallinson.  She saw Mr. Henry Estcourt, surgeon, at the house about nine o’ clock on the Sunday night, the 20th instant, and heard him give some directions about her treatment.  He left and the deceased expired at a quarter to ten the same night.

             Superintendent Donoghue: Have you seen women at Mrs. Mallinson’s on previous occasions?

             Yes, frequently.

             How long have they stayed?

             Some only a short time ago.

             What did they say when they came?

             Well, I wasn’t always there.  They asked for Mrs. Mallinson.

             About twelve months ago, did you see Mrs. Mallinson with the dead body of a little child?

             Yes, there were two on the dressing table.  There was not plenty of drink at the house on the Sunday night.  I was not present at the operation, and I don’t think Mr. Estcourt was.

             Did Mrs. Mallinson tell you what deceased had come for?

             She said she had come for a week because she had quarreled with her father.

             Did she not tell you she had come for some purpose?

             No.  I had my suspicions.

             The Juryman: You know more than you will tell.  I was told that this woman held the deceased while the operation was performed.

             The Coroner: What you were told is not evidence.  You had better tell Mr. Donoghue what you know.

             The Coroner then asked the prisoner Sarah Mallinson if she wished to make any statement.  She replied that she wished to say a word or two.  The Coroner then administered the usual caution, and she was sworn.

             She said: I am not a widow, my husband is in America.  His name is William Mallinson and he is an iron and brass moulder.  I have been living at 124 Sussex Street.  The deceased, Louisa Brierley, came to my home on Saturday, the 12th instant.  I had seen her once before, but not to be acquainted with her. That was many years since.  She said her father and her had had some trouble.  She had her little girl with her, and said she had brought her and intended to stay a bit.  I said she could stay.  Mr. Smart was with her as well as the child.  The child was put to bed, and deceased and Smart went for a walk.  She received £3 from deceased which Smart gave her.  Mallinson then confessed the whole particulars of the crime and the death of the young woman.

    The Coroner said the statement made in the absence of Smart would not be evidence.

    In answer to further questions by the jury, witness said Mr. Estcourt had attended her prior to this, and she once got a bottle of medicine from him for a friend.  The arrangement was that if she had £3 she should pay the doctor, if one was required.

    What brought Smart and this woman to your house?

    I went over to Ashton seven or eight months ago.  I saw deceased, and told her where I had gone to live, and she said she would come and see me sometime.

    Where did you live before you came into Salford?

    At Ashton a good while, and I came down here because I thought I should find more friends.

    The Coroner said there was no further evidence to call that day, and the enquiry was further adjourned for a week, Superintendent Donoghue asking for as long a time as possible in order that he might complete his inquiries.

    The vicinity of the hotel was crowded during the whole time the inquiry lasted, and great anxiety was displayed to see the prisoners, who were hissed and hooted as they left.


    Section of Editorial column from the same page of The Reporter:


             As we expected, the investigation which is being conducted at Salford into the circumstances of the death of the unfortunate young woman Louisa Brierley, has assumed a very serious aspect.  There is now scarcely room for doubt that the prisoners, Sarah Mallinson and William Smart, will have to stand their trial for one of the most serious crimes in the calendar.  After the statement or confession made by Mallinson, she can have hardly any answer to the charge, and though her fellow prisoner does not stand in the same position he will have to meet and answer allegations of the very gravest character.  Mallinson it is stated is well-known in Ashton, where she is said to have or to have had some relatives living, and where she herself resided for some years.  She is a woman apparently about 50 years of age, and rather below the medium height.  Her nefarious practices do not appear to have brought her much wealth for she has been shabbily dressed since her arrest, and at the inquest on the body, wore an old shawl over her head.  Smart, on the contrary, is a young man of rather prepossessing appearance, well-dressed and has so far passed through an exceedingly trying ordeal without betraying any outward signs of perturbation.  He was in the employ for some time of Messrs. Taylor and Thompson, railway contractors, as a timekeeper, and was engaged in this capacity on the new railway which the firm named are constructing between Stalybridge and Saddleworth, for the London and North-Western Railway Company.  He resided, when in this position, in Stalybridge, and no doubt formed the acquaintance of the deceased at this period.


    Liverpool Assizes, Monday 19th February 1884


Case No. 78     Sarah Mallinson       50 years.  Imperfectly instructed.

Date of warrant: 4 February 1884.     Received into custody: 5 February 1884.

Committing Magistrate: J. Makinson Esq., Salford.  Coroner: Fred Price Esq., Broughton.

Charge:  At Salford during the month of January 1884, willfully, and of their malice aforethought, killing and murdering one Louisa Brierley.

Tried 19th February 1884 before Mr. Justice Bust.    Jury verdict: Guilty of murder.  Sentence: death.


Case No. 79     William Smart, 30 years         Clerk.  Well-instructed.

Other details as above.



Huddersfield Daily Examiner, 2 July 1884


Ellen Mallinson Tree 16



William Blacker (57) Furniture Dealer: indecent assault on Hannah Elizabeth Charlesworth at Huddersfield 27 November 1883 and Sarah Jane Gill within the past two months..."and that he unlawfully and carnally did know and abuse Ellen Mallinson, a girl under the age of 13 years, and above the age of 12 years, at Huddersfield within twelve calendar months last past." All three girls were in his charge. Imprisoned with hard labour for two years.



Huddersfield Daily Examiner, 16 March 1885


George Edward Mallinson Tree 15



On Thursday, in the Wesleyan School, Linthwaite, G. E. Mallinson, aged 19 years, was presented by the Rev. Isaac Hardingwith an address on vellum from the Royal Humane Society in recognition of his bravery in rescuing Emma Bates, who had accidentally fallen into the canal at Ramsden Mill, on the night of January 19th.



Huddersfield Weekly Examiner, Saturday 4 April 1885


Joseph Mallinson Tree 5b



On Sunday morning, Joseph Mallinson, twenty-two years of age, son of the landlord of the Spangled Bull Inn, Kirkheaton, met with a singular accident. He was in his father's farmyard chasing a gander. He had in his hand a hayfork, with the points of the fork in the direction of his body. He fell and the fork points entered his body. He was at once taken into the house, and was attended by Mr. Cotton, assistant to Mr. Robertson, surgeon.



Huddersfield Daily Examiner, 8 July 1887


George Mallinson Tree 5b

Huddersfield County Court. Thursday. Before his Honour Judge Snagge.



George Mallinson, landlord of the Spangled Bull Inn, Kirkheaton, brought an action against Messrs Pickford and Co., carriers, for £17 2s 6d, for damage done to his horse and trap through the negligence of the defendants' servant, on the afternoon of the 13th January last.

Mr. J.H. Dransfield was for the plaintiff, and Mr. Walter Armitage for the defendants.

The plaintiff's case was that on the day named Joe Mallinson, son of the plaintiff, had been to Huddersfield with a two-year old horse and a trap, and was accompanied by Fred Broadbent, son of the landlord of the Tandem Inn, Wakefield Road, Lepton, where Joe Mallinson had had dinner and one glass of beer. They called at the Huddersfield slaughter houses, and then drove back into the town, and Mallinson called at Spivey's, the Globe Vaults, King Street, left two casks and had two pennyworths of whisky, while Broadbent went to Challand's baker's shop next door. Broadbent rejoined Mallinson, who drove him homewards. On the Wakefield Road, near the Junction Inn, they took up Leonard Wadsworth, butcher's assistant, St. Mary's, Kirkheaton, a youth, who rode behind; and shortly afterwards near Ravensknowle (the residence of Mr John Beaumont), when the horse and trap were going at a rate of about seven miles an hour, Mallinson saw two horses and a lurry(sic) coming towards him, the horses walking, only six yards in front of his horse. Mallinson's horse and trap were on the proper side of the road, but the defendants' lurry and horses were on the wrong side of the road. The road, down hill at that place, was covered with hard snow, and the time was about half past five. Mallinson called out "Heigh up," told the driver to go on the right side of the road, was unable to pull up his own trap, and the right wheel of the trap caught the hind wheel of the waggon, the trap was upset, and the three young men were thrown out. Joe Mallinson was rendered insensible, Wadsworth was pitched into the hedge bottom, and Broadbent was thrown into the road. Wadsworth went to Mallinson and told him to get up, but he could not, but told him to look at the name on the lurry. Wadsworth went to the man on the causeway, who was with the lurry, and who kept driving on, and he said it was Pickford's lurry and horses. The horse had both legs seriously injured, was laid up for some time, and now had one thick leg, and for the injury to the horse the plaintiff claimed £5, and 15s. a week for its keep for six weeks. The trap was damaged to the amount of £7 18s. In cross-examination Mallinson and Broadbent denied that they were drunk or driving recklessly, and Broadbent denied swearing at the men in charge of the lurry after the accident.

Wadsworth corroborated this, but said he heard someone not in the trap shout out immediately before the collision. Mallinson pulled up as much as he could.

The defence was that the damage was done by the carelessness and recklessness of the men in the trap, who were the worse for drink.

Gamaliel Roberts, scribbling engineer, in the employ of Messrs Bentley and Kilner, was returning from Huddersfield with their horse and waggon, the young men in the trap overtook him, shouted to him to shift, swore at him, and then drove between his waggon and the causeway instead of on the opposite side. One of them said, as the trap passed, "Have I cleared?" and another said, "yes." One of them also said, "Cut his ---- leg off." Roberts told them to go to h--- and break their necks, for they would do before they had gone far. Shortly afterwards he overtook them at the spot where the accident had happened, and found Mallinson lying on the road. He took Mallinson on his waggon to the Tandem Inn, and witness smelt Mallinson of drink.

Henry Battye, driver in the employ of the defendants in January last, said that on the 13th of that month he was returning with two horses and a lurry from Lepton, and the lurry was run into by the plaintiff's trap. Witness was on his right side of the road, and with a view to prevent a collision he took the chain horse to the top of a stone heap on the side of the road. Joe Mallinson was driving furiously, and the collision was entirely his fault.

David Hill, also a teamer for the defendants, who was with Battye, gave corroborative evidence, and said that Mallinson was much the worse for drink.

His honour said the action was founded entirely on negligence, and there was simple evidence of contributory negligence on the part of the plaintiff's son. The young man was simply reckless, and as he had no doubt upon the point he gave a verdict for the defendants, with costs.


 Copyright (c) 2000-2015 J.S.Mallinson. All rights reserved.