Brooklyn Daily Standard Union
COURT NEWS..1931..April- May- June
MALLINSON DIED FACING BIG SUIT
Thirty minutes before he died suddenly last Tuesday H. R. MALLINSON, wealthy head of the MALLINSON Silk Co., was served with papers in a $1,000,000 alienation suit, charging him with influencing his daughter, who later killed herself, it was disclosed today.
The suit was filed against MALLINSON by his son-in-law Eugene BOWEN, who made the specific charge of alienation of affections. He accused MALLINSON and his wife, Mrs. Linda M. MALLINSON, with enticing their daughter away from him.
He said that his wife, Lorna MALLINSON BOWEN, had been taken to see an attorney a few hours before she leaped from a twelfth floor room on Park avenue.
In addition to the alienation of affections suit, BOWEN, a former army aviator, had started proceedings in Surrogate's Court against the MALLINSON estate for an accounting of his dead wife's stock accounts.
In this suit he declared he believed these accounts to be more than $200,000.
MILLOWNER WHO WAS KNIGHTED
The Marriage Festival of Sir Dyson Mallinson
From the Craven Herald 19/05/1935
It is interesting to old Earby residents to recall those who were associated with the Bracewells in their management of the spinning mill and weaving sheds. Currer Moorhouse, who came from Airton, was the overlooker in the cardroom section. Jack Ellis was in charge of the throstle spinning, and Duncan McPhail superintended the mule spinners. "Duncan," as he was always called, was a real Scotchman, and had a natural weakness for a "wee drop" o' whiskey.
Other prominent positions were held as follows: Engineers, William Varley and Richard Webster; fireman, William Bailey; mechanics, Henry Hartley, Thos. Crowther, Henry Brown and H. C. Smith; joiner, Richard Demaine; blacksmith, John Taylor; weigh man, Thomas P. Burrow; roller coverer, Daniel Parker; head tackler, William Turner; warehouse manager, James Hartley; head loomer, Edmondson Watson; tapers, William Hartley, Henry Bailey and T. H. Hartley. In the office the members of the family were assisted by Thomas Swire and James Moorhouse.
At the old Shed, John Green, who came from Gargrave, was in charge of the ware-house, and later, Joseph Cowgill; the engineer was Robert Bradley, who was succeeded by Richard Wilkinson (Dick o' Bowes). The tacklers were John Wilkinson and Robert Higson. At an earlier period, Stephen Pickles, who founded the famous Barnoldswick firm of that name, was a tackler at the Old Shed.
Robert Bradley also removed to Barnoldswick, and his three sons, Watson, Christopher and Arthur, established the well-known firm of Bradley Bros.
Mr. Dyson Mallinson, who belonged to a highly respected Huddersfield family, succeeded to the proprietorship of the Victoria Mill and Old Shed on the removal of the Bracewell family to America. On May 13th, 1880, he had married the eldest daughter of the "Old Master," amid scenes of unparalleled public interest. The Wesleyan Chapel was crowded, as it was also the first marriage, which had taken place in the sanctuary. The workpeople and their families, to the number of 700, were entertained on the following Saturday, tea being served in the Victoria Institute and the Baptist and Wesleyan Schools. A gala was afterwards held in the Cricket Field, and a party of gymnastic entertainers provided a thrilling display. Refreshments on a lavish scale were provided, and the village Brass Band played for dancing. At the close of the day the Band paid a visit to Green End House, and played for the enjoyment of the guests.
Within four years, 1885-1889, the Mallinson era in Earby drew to its close, and it was a gloomy experience for the village community. Bad trade, poor work, low wages, and constant unrest breaking out in spontaneous strikes, were the outstanding features of that period. For a short time Mr. Mallinson, with his wife and two children, resided at Heather View, Green End.
He appointed a gentleman manager for the mills, Mr. Scholes, who took up his residence at Heather View. There was no improvement in the state of affairs, and the business collapsed, the permanent stoppage coming in the first week in July 1889, on the eve of Earby Feast, the village annual holiday. The firm had been styled "Victoria Spinning and Manufacturing Co." Mr. Mallinson resumed his business as a cotton broker at Liverpool and Manchester, and resided at Ormskirk.
During the Great War he rendered valuable service in organising hospital equipment in Liverpool and ministering to the soldiers, for which he was knighted, and he became Sir Dyson Mallinson. In his later years he was an outstanding figure on the Manchester Royal Exchange, where he had offices. He was one of the very few who retained the "top hat" equipment, and in his business associations he assumed a genial disposition. He died a few years ago.
The Victoria Mill and weaving sheds were closed for about four years, but the mill was eventually purchased for £8,000 by Messrs. Thompson Bros. of Trafalgar Mill, Burnley, and the Earby firm was known as the Mill Co. Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2000-2015 J.S.Mallinson. All rights reserved.